Re: RE: Training a uncoordinated 6year old on downhills

I just got through with a very up and down hilly ride on a 13 year old just
broke mare who has lived her entire life in a small pasture in Napa CA.  She
just barrels down the hills without a misstep....I've ridden horses that
have never seen a hill and ones raised in the CO mountains.  I ridden ones
that have had to learn how to negotiate rocks, and rutted cattle
trails..usually takes  just a few miles before they figure it out...But I
have never had a problem they did not overcome by the end of the
ride...sounds like your horse is fearing PAIN.
So, I would look at 1. SADDLE
2.  BACK
3.  HOCKS
Hope this helps.