RE: RE: improving ridecamp and HRM

I found the HRM was a really good tool to learning about recoveries,
etc. and where my horse's normal parameters are.  I haven't been
using it lately except for during competition, pulsing down for
vet checks mainly.  I quit using one while training with someone
whose horse has a real low base heart rate and great recoveries
and it was making me sick with envy!

This particular horse is not as well conditioned at right
at this moment as my horse is in general.  What I also noticed
is that this horse is also very docile without a real competitive
streak, whereas my horse is a "trash talking" maniac and is
very emotional about competition.  I am just curious to know
from you more experienced folks, based upon your experience,
is the low resting heart rate always an advantage?

My horse
would be trotting his big trot uphill with a 150 bpm heartrate,
her horse would be cantering uphill behind him with a 100 bpm
heartrate but would then tire out a little more than mine.
Go figure!  It will be interesting to see what happens
next year when we all go into our second year of competition
and our conditioning levels become more equal.

K.