improving ridecamp and HRM

I've been reading these replies with great interest - hoping to catch some magic Thing that will make me go faster, better, farther, whatever.... but, alas, there isn't one :) The folks that have posted do the same things I do, errr, rather I do the same things they do. The basics seem to be ride a bunch when you're first starting one, don't ride fast early on in the horse's career, and pick one that has good conformation and feet. Most of the other stuff like feeding, electrolytes, supplements, shoeing, wrapping, and tack are all a crap shoot and what I am doing or not doing is just as likely to work as what someone else is (or isn't) doing.

I have noticed one common thread here though - do many folks actually ride with a HRM after they've had one a while? Sorry, Roger :)...I got mine in 1996 during my first year cuz Samm had one and since she was letting me tag along I had to have what she had :).

I used it religiously for about a year - every training ride, every endurance ride. I knew every time his heart rate did this or that. Then something happened and I started leaving it in the barn but still used it at rides. Then I didn't put it on one time at a ride about 2 years ago and haven't used it at a ride since and haven't missed the readings of 267 :)

Now if I'm ever riding Top Ten I might drag it back out as it is very nice for seeing when your horse is down or if he's down when you're walking in.

Don't get me wrong they are invaluable tools and I'll never get rid of mine as there will always be a time to use it - it just struck me as odd that there was that common theme throughout the posts to Karen's questions.

Tina - 1200 miles
tina@autoairbagcovers.com