up and down hills

A few people have mentioned walking up hills and trotting on the downside
and the flats, which makes sense to me.   I have wondered though how do
people finish a 50 in what I think is a fast time riding a very hilly
course, like Mariposa or Quicksilver, for those of you in the West.  I am a
"bottom 10" finisher doing LD and often times there are 50s finishing before
our group.  I am just curious- do you get to the point where your horse is
in such great shape that you can literally trot the whole 50 miles?  I am
not trying to figure out how to speed up my own times (just an LDer here)
but am just curious at just how fast other people go?  Thanks.

Dede
Central CA