Re: How to improve Ridecamp..........

Good post Karen. Unfortunately most of the answers to your questions come from experience only. What "works" for one person does not mean that is works for a group as a whole. I too, just went and did my first ride, some 20 years ago, and discovered I really didn't know anything at all. Got my hands on all the books I could find...listened, re-thought everything I thought I knew at the time..and tried again. I Feel I've been fortunate enough to listen and learn. There may be some basic guidelines to go by, but again it all depends on you and your horse, and what you want to achieve......Cora
----- Original Message -----
From: Karen Sullivan
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 7:44 AM
Subject: RC: How to improve Ridecamp..........

As a very, very experienced, high mileage endurance rider recently pointed out (quite pointedly) that some of us are so new to the sport we have no business giving advice, I ask, why are those of you who DO have the experience not posting to "help" out the newbies?  Yes, I have posted quite a bit; I have owned horses for most of my life, and think of it as much more of sharing experiences than giving advice!  So, lets hear from the experts,many only seem to de-lurk to comment on frivolous posts.

Okay, so lots of you pioneers and high mileage members of the sport lurk or only post occasionally.

I would LOVE to know your practices and experiences with the following:

1:  How do you start young horses with conditioning?
2:  What is your conditioning program for 50 mile rides?  100 mile rides?
3:  What is your general feedng program?  What do you feed before, during and after hard rides?
4:  What supplements and electrolytes do you use on conditoning rides and competitions?
5:  What strategies do you use for cooling?  How do you cool after hard rides?  Do you ice legs?
      Do you poltice and wrap legs?
6:  How do you train with your HRM"s?  At what range do you consider anerobic with your horses?
     How long to you hold them there?  What ranges to you stay between?
7:  Saddles, tack etc?
8.  What do you look for in an endurance prospect? Is size important?
9:  Do you lay off your horse after the season?
10:  What is your preferred plan for day before the ride?.  Do you ride your horse out on the trails the
     Friday before the ride?  What if you arrive late and can't get the horse out the day before the ride?
    How do you warm up the mornng of the ride?
11:  How do you deal with tie-up, thumps, dehydration, other metabolic problems?
12: Favorite rides, positive changes in the sport?
13:  My favorite question:  How did so many of the early riders complete ride after ride without the
HRM, custom electrolytes, improved tack and advanced endurance research?  How did so many of you ride 100 miles in tennis shoes and english stirrups??!!!

Okay, how is this for a start?  Obviously topics that have been discussed on ridecamp before, but lets hear from the experts.

I did not grow up with any family or mentor in the sport.  I have had to figure out, read, talk to experts, ride, condition, head to rides, and keep at it.  I figure out the more you read and understand, will certainly help, and may prevent you from injuring your horse out there......and of course, at some point you just plain need to jump in and ride!

I would love to hear any stories or advice from folks who compete regularly; finish Tevis, high mileage, etc!

Karen