worming

A. Perez AmandaPerez@ureach.com
  I am getting ready to buy a horse, and it's been over 20 years since I last owned one.  One of the many things that have changed in the last 20 years is worming.  Back in my youth, you dropped a manure sampel at your vets and wormed based on the findings, usually t2 - 4 times a year max (now this was in Maine where it gets d*** cold in the winter, which I suppose may make parasites less of a problem due to winter-kill of eggs/larva).

  Nowadays, there are daily, weekly and monthly wormers given continually (regardless of signs of infestation or not).  I have concerns about both the cost and the safety of worming this aggressively.  I'd like to here what you folks do for worming, and roughly what it costs per horse per month.

Thanks