hoof flight path

Had someone else ride my horse today so I could observe his stride.  He has
been nicking the left rear leg  at the coronet band for a few weeks.
Almost every ride same small raw area.  Started using a no turn boot to
protect the leg but wanted to see what is going on.  He breaks over
straight in front and on the left rear hoof.  Right rear hoof he breaks
over to the left of center and the leg travels inward coming very close to
the left leg each stride.   He also appears to travel narrow in the back,
by that I mean his feet are very close - maybe two to three inches apart
while moving.  When standing still and square his feet are more like 8
inches apart.  He is 6 years old and tall 16'1 hands.  What types of
training will help him develop a wider base to his strides?   We have been
doing more hills to strengthen his rear end but I notice my other horse -a
15 year old mare who is very strong up hills- gets very wide behind and
pushes with both legs.   How can I encourage this in the 6 year old?

Roxanne
NE Ohio