Infants and toddlers on horses

This subject is making the rounds of listdom...

As one who has had his share of horse wrecks, a considerable
number of them occurring out of the blue with absolutely no
warning or any contributing factors on my part, and personally
knowing people who were killed or vegetated, I feel compelled
to weigh in on this subject.

Horses are the most dangerous animals on earth.  When you are
involved with horses it is not a question of *IF* you will be
injured, but *WHEN* and those injuries can range from chipped
fingernails to worse than death.  (Worse than death is when
you wake up in the hospital and someone says, "I'm Dr. Smith,
blink once for 'yes', and twice for 'no'.")

Even under the best of circumstances you can go out your back
door, as one friend did, and find your child dead in the yard
while her bombproof, do anything with, totally trustworthy
horse grazes calmly nearby.

When you engage in horse activities, you accept the risks and
only you can determine, for the most part, how you will operate
within those risks.  When your children are involved you have
to be FANATICALLY analytical in your search for ways to lessen
the possibility of harm.

Infants and toddlers are especially fragile.  I think the factor
here is NOT how some people have done something risky and had
it turn out well but rather that some people have engaged in
risky activities and escaped unscathed.  Risk does not ALWAYS
result in penalties that's why some folks view it differently
than others.

Think back to a horse wreck you had that struck out of the blue
and that there was little you could have done to prevent it.
Now then, what if you had had your infant or your toddler
strapped to you when this wreck occurred?  (I don't need to hear
from those of you who DID have, or you heard of someone who did
have, and it turned out okay - that was dammned lucky.)  Bad
enough the toddler makes a five foot fall to the ground, it's
even worse when you drop a hundred or so pounds on him from the
same height he has just fallen.

At the very least, wait until the child is old enough to wear
properly fitted safety equipment.

One post I read somewhere said that age restrictions on rides
(or by inference, at horse shows) would not be needed unless it
becomes a wide-spread problem.  That reminded me of when the
saddle club I was president of decided to have a "Go As You
Please" class.  I looked in the arena and saw two people face
to face on the same horse with the moron facing the horse's
rear guiding the horse behind his back.  When I removed them
from the arena I could hear others cooking up ways they were
going to better those clowns for the next "Go As You Please"
class.

At last weekend's clinic one of the hands-on participants was
a 10 year old boy with a finely developed sense of self-
preservation.  It is far better and safer to at least wait
until the child developes that sense.  I would worry that
starting infants and toddlers on horseback (and I'm not talking
about being lead with sidewalkers here) would deny them the
opportunity to learn how to deal with the inner voice that
increases our chances of survival.

Be aware that you are operating in an extremely risky environment
when you carry infants and toddlers on horseback.  And yes, I know,
you cannot eliminate risk.  You can, however, mitigate it.

Marv "I'm not afraid of bears but I'm not going to run up and kiss
one either." Walker
--
Upcoming 2000 Clinics
Murfeesboro (Near Nashville) TN, Nov 11-12, 2000