Levels

I guess this isn't going to be popular, but I don't
understand why it's OK to have different levels of
competition in other arenas such as dressage, show
jumping, and people running foot races, but apparently
it's not OK to have different levels in AERC Endurance
riding.

I will ask those of you out there who know:  Do your
dressage tests at Training Level count toward your
end of the year standings at Level 1?  Or do local
show jumping competition points count toward Grand
Prix show jumping national placements at the end of
the year?  Or if a marathoner runs a 10K and wins,
does that count toward that marathoner's end of the
year national standings at the 26.2 mile marathon
distance?

The argument I'm hearing is "everyone pays the same
amount".

How much does it cost to join the Dressage Federation
if you ride Level 4?  How much does it cost to join the
Dressage Fedration if you ride Level 1?  How much does
it cost to join the AHSA if you ride Dressage Level 4?
Do your Level 1 dressage test count toward your total
life time Dressage competitions?  Or is a horse "Level
1" or "Level 4"?  How much does it cost to join AHSA if
you ride Dressage Level 1?  How much does it cost to
join the AHSA if you ride AERC rides of any distance?
How much does it cost a ride manager to put on a ride
for a horse and rider going 50 miles?  How much does it
cost a ride manager to put on a ride for a horse and
rider going 25 miles?

I guess the marathon is the one example that really hit
home with me.  If it's not 26.2 miles, it's not a
"marathon" as defined by Webster's Dictionary and the
history of Greece.  I guess if enough people get
irritated about marathoners they could join in, change
the rules and vote in 10 mile races and call them
"marathons" in the future.  But they would have to
change history.

The currrent meaning of an "Endurance Ride" is 50 to
100 miles within a defined time period for the given
distance.  It takes more horse to go 50 or more miles
at a time than 25 or 30.  It's a different level of
riding.  Enough people can join and pay their money and
vote in changing the meaning if you like.  That's the
democratic way.  But think about why you would really
want to do that.  So someone can feel good thinking
they've done something they haven't done?

I'll stand up here and say "I'm not a marathon runner
and I'm proud of it!"

Would it make everyone "feel better" to split out the
100 mile horses from the 50's instead?  That's OK with
me.  It's a different level of riding.  I think 100
mile horses deserve the most recognition of all.

Pardon me if I just don't get it.

Kathy Myers
AERC #14992
in No Cal. with Magnum the TB ex-racer
and Mr Maasjitic... resident endurance Arab