Re: RC: Ummm,, I'm confused

In a message dated 10/16/2000 6:26:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< have been reading ridercamp archives and the debate about little boy made
me wonder: if its up to the parents to decide how old is old enough, why have
age limits for horses?  shouldn't that be up to the horses owners?  >>

No, because horses can't or don't tell you when the workload is too much for
them until it's too late, sometimes.  And we are responsible for protecting
them.  A parent can tell when a child is in pain or is too tired, but a
horse's instincts will drive him beyond his capabilities.  Most people do not
die from one instance of exhaustion, but a horse certainly can.  Sometimes
they die, even when not exhausted.  A horse's metabolism is just very
different than a human's.

Barbara