Re: RC: Young, really young riders

In a message dated 10/15/2000 8:22:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
JANUSSTUDIO@aol.com writes:

<< > How about you folks who are running for the board, any thoughts? >>

Someone else posted this, not sure who, because I deleted many of the posts
relating to young children riding endurance.  I don't know about folks
RUNNING for the board, but here's the opinion of one who has been on the
board for about 20 years: unless this becomes an epidemic, and we are
beseiged with people who are entering their 3 year old children in LD rides,
leave it alone!!!  The folks whose child and grandchild entered into this
event are long-time HORSEMEN, they had the 28 year old horse on a lead-line,
and they both rode all the way with him (as I understand it).  Other than
keeping the kid in a hot-house or wrapped up in cotton-wool, there couldn't
have been much more they could do to ensure his safety than what they did.
If the child loves riding so much, it would be cruel not to allow him to do
it. Besides, children NEED to be allowed to explore their world, they do not
NEED to be over-protected.  How lucky he is to have a horse and a family who
supports him. (I desperately wanted a horse and pined for many years before
my father could scrape up the money to buy one).  We all take risks when we
ride horses, but then we all take risks when we get out of bed in the
morning.  This is my personal opinion.

Barbara McCrary
West region director