Hosing sweaty horses in cold weather

I'm really glad this thread started, as I was wondering the same thing yesterday.  Of my two boys, PG has less fat than Toc, and has  leaner kind of muscle mass (I know there is a scientific way of putting this, but I'm damned if I know it) : Toc is built like a weight-lifter, PG like a swimmer, if you get the picture.

What I find fascinating is that PG has shed all of his winter coat already, but Toc's, whilst not long, is still thicker than PG's.  Both are blanketed the same, and kept in a barn, so lights can't really be a factor.  Could it be the type of muscle each has developed, or the fact that PG has less obvious body fat than Porky?

And as for hosing horses in cold weather - I was told by an old Irish horsewoman that, if you are going to do it, use cold rather than warm water as the latter opens the pores, and the horse feels cold later.  I have a brilliant rug which I use after hosing - it has a sweat sheet inside, and a day sheet outside, so it wicks off the water and keeps them warm.

But I still maintain that you can achieve the same results with patience and elbow grease.

Regards,
Tracey

Tracey
My not so scientific theory on this is that the "engine" or muscles of the horse are what keep them warm...so the more conditioned animal would generate more warmth because it actually burns the fuel/food it is given thereby creating heat.  The fat animal doesn't need the calories and possibly just stores or dumps most of them instead of burning them....thereby creating a lot less heat.  Hmmm.....not a bad theory when I reread it. LOL
Shannon
I wonder if the better conditioned horses were warmer because they/you/me/us have better circulation if we are in good condition, less body fat etc. Annie