Liberty 100

Angie McGhee Rides2far@juno.com
Shriek!!  If there's lots of weird posts on here from me it's because my computer has lost its mind. Was trying to edit this and it disappeared. Don't know if it posted itself or not. :-P

Hi all!

I wrote an even LONGER post about the Liberty 100 last Sunday when I got home
and RC was down. Asked somebody to forward it on there for me but as far
as I've seen it didn't come through. Thought about posting it, but
re-read it and it was boring. >g< So, if it *was* posted and you got
bored and deleted it, here's "take 2", just trash it.

Sat. Oct 7 was the Liberty 25/50/100. They called for 100% chance of rain
Friday night and Sat. and a MAJOR cold front...and I've waited so long
since my surgery I didn't care. I *still* planned to try the 100.  Had to
leave all my crew at home. Bonnie had her first big "Homecoming Dance"
date and Dad needed to clean his gun.  Josie was dying to ride but since
I was in the 100 I left her at home. Didn't want her in camp at midnight
with me still out on the trail. Turned out I should have let her come.
>g<

There were 17 horses entered in the 100, but 2 didn't start. The weather
turned out great, the rain stopped Fri. afternoon and the temp didn't
drop until Sat. night.  Started with no moon and it was very dark.  After
Kaboot's gymnastics after dark last year, I decided to buy one of those
little flourescent lights for the breast collar. I LOVE IT!!!!  It threw
out a nice even light and he was trotting out great...but I was self
concious. Most were riding with no light and I was afraid I was bothering
them, then Duane commented that it was making him a little motion sick so
I reached down (while trotting) and turned it off. BIG MISTAKE!!  All
Kaboot saw was a huge black hole in front of him and he slammed on the
brakes and ran into Sassy. I never cared for hugging a horse's neck while
riding, so I swung on down and completed the emergency dismount.  I
apparently broke my little finger during the excitement and that had a
big bearing on how I placed.  I turned the light back on and decided to
just let him go and get away from anyone he might bother. Anyway, as
Julie Bullock said, "When is Duane NOT sick in a 100?" >g< This ride was
my first exposure to Julie and she is an absolute hoot. I have never seen
anyone so loose and having so much fun throughout a ride.

Valerie Kanavy was on her 7 year old horse Bear Cat O'Reilly. He's a BIG
horse, full Arab but looks like a jumper or something. Very flashy, high
socks and a big blaze.  She fought him for awhile and then got fed up and
let him roll. She did the first 20 miles in 1:32 and Nicki Young was hot
on her tail doing it in 1:38. I was third. (oops!)

By the middle of the next loop Julie Bullock and Debbie Bullis both from
VA caught me. They are absolutely crazy. Their girths were dangling below
their horse's bellies (they knew something I didn't know) and their horses were cantering along bouncing off
of each other and they never stopped kidding around.  Turned out that
they had sabataged Kevin Baird's gorgeous Anglo mare the night before,
taking a cattle marker and drawing glasses on her and writing "Kick Here"
on her side, etc. (heard later many thought I did it, but I don't know
Kevin that well)

We were rocking on pretty well and I knew it was faster than I'm used to
going but with my finger hurt I couldn't haul Kaboot down to break off
from them.  They were both planning to nominate for the Pan Ams and
weren't wasting any time.  After 50 miles, Val was 27 minutes ahead,
Nicki and Kevin were traveling together, and Debbie, Julie and I were 3
min. back from them. (5 horses within 3 min. of 2nd)  This is where Julie
got pulled.  Horse looked great on the trail and then just went in and
limped. :-P

Next loop Debbie and I caught Kevin and Nicki and rode together.  Kevin's
horse seemed to have a hitch at first but it worked out and we all rode
together, still holding 10 mph.  Scarey for me, but then Kaboot insisted
and there wasn't much else to do.  At 65 miles Kevin pulled (the hitch
came back).  Val was still 25 or so minutes ahead when Debbie & Nicki
headed after her.  I decided to wait a few more minutes and let them get
out of sight since I really wanted Kaboot to slow down and there was no
way I could do it with them in sight.  I wanted him to eat and it worked
out pretty well.  We did slow way down with no company, but I was able to
pull cane and hand it up to him and he got a good meal in on that loop,
even if we did lose about 30 minutes to Nicki & Debbie.  Duane Barnett
(riding Always Sassy) and Gus Politis caught us and we all came into the
last check together.

Heading out on the last 20 miles (the 10 mile road loop twice) I had
hopes that I'd be able to hold Duane off since he's in my weight
division.  He left a little after Gus and me and we were just trotting
along when we heard Val yell "Coming through" and she and Bear Cat
galloped between us.  I had a feeling Kaboot was going to "come back for
me" on these loops since he'd gone slow and ate the last one, but was
still shocked when he took off after Bear Cat like it was the first loop.
It was FUN!! :-))  Gotta say, felt pretty cool galloping along with Val
that 10 mile loop and having so much horse.  I did haul him down once
(ouch!) and made him climb a hill at a walk while she cantered, but paid
for it when he bolted after them at the top. Not exactly how I expected
to spend the mileage between 80 and 90 miles...but I could get used to
it. :-)

Val ended up winning in 9:55 and Nicki & Debbie tied for 2nd at 10:42.
But....MAJOR BUMMMMMMMERRRR!!! Debbie's horse Carmen Clasix didn't vet
through!!! :-PPP  I felt so sorry for her. It had turned cold and the
finish line was about 1/4 mile from the vet area. He just tightened up on
the way.  I just felt like crying for her.  Kaboot & I finished next,
receiving 3rd place with a time of 11:11. Duane and Sassy were 4th in
11:22 and Gus Politis 4th in 11:35.  Bearcat O'Reilly got BC.

Vicki Parker did a FANTASTIC job with water, markings, the whole
sheebang.

My finish wasn't perfect.  Kaboot was girth sore again and it's going to
be a problem.  It made him slightly off, but thank goodness not bad
enough to pull me.  If it's not one thing it's another. :-P  This week he's "scurfing" up where the girth was. No rubs, just irritated. Think I'm going to try the loose girth thing...pray for me.

Julie, Debbie and Kevin were great sports, making everyone laugh when
they went up to get their "consolation T-shirts" holding their fingers up
to their foreheads forming an "L" for "Loser".  Kevin got Julie & Debbie
back for Friday night decorating their horses with "L's" on their
foreheads, and eyeglasses.

It was a great ride, great to do 100 again. Thanks everyone!!!

Angie