distance - old days

Although I have ridden more limited distance rides than endurance rides, I
do believe there is a difference:  the longer the ride, the more endurance
it takes...what a concept.  Anyway, I've been reading the history of the
northwest, especially in my area of Washington and Central Washington.  Do
you realize that many people rode 70 - 90 miles a day - because they had to?
  I wish I could find more inforamtion on the type of horse these riders
chose.  There is one history titled Kamiakan (Chief of Yakamas), which also
has a lot about the trappers, traders, settlers of Central Washington.  Not
only did the travelers look for good distance horses, they also looked for
good race horses.  Seems racing against the tribes was very popular back in
the 1800's.

janetb