hosing horses in cold weather

Hi Barb,
I used to show Walking Horses and was invited to parades many years ago. So
instead of haveing to wash the horse I would spot wash in areas that were
very dirty. I would take a garden sprayer. I have one I keep for H2O only. I
would spot wash my horse.I would also take a regualar spray bottle and
dilute the horse shampoo and spray at the spots. If they had a mean spot I
could really get it out with a little elbow grease and my little sprayer.
However I did have one mare that reallllly loved to get in the mud. So I
would wash her on a really warm day and walk her till she was good and dry.
I would keep lots of towels to help dry her off and use warm water. I had
access to a hot cold faucet so I could provide warm water. Also I would try
to do it in the warmest part of the day. I have never clipped with an
exception of spring show clips but tried to hold off as late as possible.
On a really really fridgid day you are better off just brushing it on out or
use the a heated garage if it has a floor drain and warm water. Yep have had
to do that before!
I have found that the little garden sprayer is just enough to get the top
grime off and still get a great look. Also they can come in handy after the
summer rides and you don't have one of those nice HANDY DANDY hose hookups
on the nicer rigs. Just pump my little sprayer up and go to work. It is
quieter and it you can adjust the nozzle to how you like.
Carla (next week... how to make neato jewelry out of used worm paste tubes!)
Ansata (I have had one of them baths!)
Haley (baths YUK!)
Rob (you have enough paste wormer tubes!!)