Liberty Run

I'm not going to post one of my stories on this ride since I seem to be
running out of friends cause of what I write.  My fault, nobody else to
blame, cause I write it like a personal diary and should probably keep alot
of what I say to myself.  So, I'll just say the following about the ride:

It was just great.  Did you ever hit a trail and after a few miles say to
yourself, "I just died and went to horse trail heaven?"  That's how I felt
after the start of my 25 with Dance Line, who was on fire.  I'm sure Dance
and me scared a few at the start when he started doing his imitation of a
Lippizaner horse and got his rear legs under his body and lifted the front
ones off the ground.

After 5 miles or so I found a group of young riders, led by a very brave
woman, who were all trotting, so Dance and I tagged along with them for most
of the first loop.  I felt like I was intruding on a Girl Scout troop but
they didn't seem to mind. When the leader said, "Girls, do you want to trot?"
 I would chime in with them, "Yes Ma'am." One young girl, she looked barely
8, was on this tiny pony who had the quickest trot I've ever seen.  How this
tiny pony kept the pace with Dance Line's long legs is a feat I'll never be
able to explain.  His hooves had to hit the ground twice as often as Dance
Line's did.  Plum amazing to me.

Anyway, the trails were wide, footing was fantastic, and I want to go back.
Even though they had well over a hundred total riders, the lines at the vet
checks were never long and the 25, 50, and 100 milers were spaced out so well
I couldn't believe this was the same ride I attended and crewed for last
year.

Debbi F, from Florida won the 50.  I'm trying to make a deal to get her to
wear a GATOR T-Shirt while riding.  I'll let you know how that works out
since her daughter keeps telling me her family is mostly of the Seminole
persuasion.  Debbi's horse also got BC.

Even though Debbi won, the Queen of the ride was Susan K. who came in second
in the 50.  I rode one loop with Susan and she never ceases to impress me
with her horse.  Susan let me accompany her to the fantastic restaurant they
have on site (you gotta try the schnitzel) and she has more jokes than Dennis
Miller and Chris Rock combined.  On the last nite we had ten people at our
table, all telling jokes, and we even got the waitress to sit down with us
and she started telling some.
The waitress kept flirting with James and never with me for some reason.
Guess she didn't have a thing for short, fat men, but I kept telling her I
look taller and thinner on my horse.

I should also mention Valerie Kanavy won the 100 miler.  No surprise there.
I still haven't had the nerve to speak to her but I did meet her husband on
Sunday.  I asked him what it's like to be married to such a famous woman and
he told me it was kind of like being Arnold Palmer's wife.  Then he told me a
funny story about this woman who called his house asking to speak with Val.
When Mr. Kanavy told her Val wasn't there the woman said, "That's ok, I'll
call back later.  I just wanted to get directions from her to your house."
The Kanavy's were having some kind of clinic at their place.  The way he told
the joke just got me laughing so hard cause the woman obviously didn't think
he could give out correct directions to his farm.  haha.

Sunday, I went out for another loop cause I just didn't get enough of it on
Saturday.  Plus, there was a lost horse and this gave me an excuse to look
around and try to find him.  I didn't, but he wandered into camp later that
day to a very grateful owner.

I did not want to leave this place.  I was the first one to arrive there
Thursday afternoon and almost the last one to leave on Sunday, around 2PM.
Guess I miss the military more than I realize.

Anyway, put the ride on your calendar.  It's held twice a year and is one of
the best I've been to in a long time.

cya,
Howard