Re: Lost horse at Liberty Run II

This  morning I announced that my lost horse was found. Trinity is in
his pasture, happy to be home.

For those of you who did not attend the Liberty Run II this weekend, I
fell off my horse. I was knocked unconscious. Were it not for the Grace
of God and my helmet, I would not be telling this story. The helmet has
a 3" + crack in the center of the back. I felt the results of impact
from my tailbone to my head. I am told I was out for about four minutes.
Thank God for the riders who saw my horse and came back looking for me.
Hlep came and I am fine now except for a few minutes amnesia. I cannot
remeber the events just before or just after the fall.

My horse took off at a dead run, and passed even the leaders on the long
stretch of fairly straight road that begins the purple loop. I might
have made it a mile. I don't remember where I fell. I am told that
Trinity has a lot of potential. He whizzed past everyone so fast theye
did not have time to block his way. Those that tried to follow him to
catch him were outdistanced by him. He was gone from sometime after
six-thirty Saturday morning until late Sunday evening, when some local
people found him and reported to the local sheriff, who had been alerted
on Saturday. His saddle, bridle and reins were still attached to him.He
was tired, and has some scrapes and rubs. He is not lame. He drank and
ate well last night, and is doing fine at home in his pasture today.
I learned a lot about the purple loop that I had not noticed before. I
walked a goodly portion of it  with carrots and apples, calling for him.
He usually comes when called at home. He was found on the other side of
US-1. It was a blessing that he was found safely, and wasn't struck by a
car or truck as he crossed. He doesn't like pavement, so I was surprised
that he went over the highway. Something must have frightened him
across.
He acted glad to see us, and seemed pleased to get into the trailer, a
familiar place, after his great adventure. He wanted extra pets and rubs
this morning. He got them.
I was also able to take the helmet to school and give my high school
students an illustration of why they should wear protective equipment
designed for whichever sport they are involved with, whether it be
riding horses, bicycles, motorcycles, or whichever sport of choice.Some
of them ride horses, western style, for pleasure. I pray that seeing and
hearing of what happened to me will show them the need to wear
protective helmets when they ride.

I want to thank everyone who helped, eihter rescuing me from my fall, or
helping me search for Trinity.

He has the potential to be a good endurance horse. I just have to
rethink a few things. It would help if I remembered what caused the
fall. The last thing I remember was thinking "Good, he's going to
settle..." then I was in Nancy Gooch's car on the way back to base camp.

I am going to make sure that I have a "buddy/babysitter" with me for a
few more rides. He did so well at Biltmore that I thought he would be ok
in Augusta. Obviously he wasn't ready, so...we take more time, do more
schooling, and have a buddy on the trail for a while longer.
MAY THE GOOD LORD BLESS YOU ALL AND KEEP YOU AND YOUR EQUINE PARTNERS
SAFE. EACH DAY IS A TREASURE, SAVOR IT.
Lucie Hancock