Re: RC: Hay prices

In a message dated 10/07/2000 9:20:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< I really *really* REALLY hope you mean $3-5 per 50 lb bale and not larger
 100 lb bales, because otherwise I'm going to get really envious and turn
 green or something.  Right now we can get $3.80/50 lb bale (delivered, in
 bulk) for straight Rio Grande Valley grown alfalfa (horse grade).  However
 we are looking into buying a sample bale of half ton grass/alfalfa square
 bales for a mere $40.  Unless these are totally crappy moldy hay, they will
 be the steal of the century!  Unfortunately we don't have any heavy
 equipment here to move them, so that would be a challenge!  Lif
  >>WOW! I guess here in Southern California they charge a lot for hay even
crappy hay just because they think they can. I struggle to find "decent" hay
(4 way) at $10-$12 a bale. Bermuda grass is normally around $12 a bale and
Timothy is around $16-$18 a bale for 50 pound bales. No wonder I am soooo
horsepoor.
Robyn