From: Susan Garlinghouse [mailto:suendavid@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 5:48 PM
To: msofen@pacbell.net; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: RE: quiz time :-)

> Susan, if you can answer the following questions, we'll LET you do a
> presentation at this year's convention:

Okay. :-)

> 1)  Why do horses prefer chocolate to mashed potatoes?

Because he knows that *you* do, that you've been thinking about that
chocolate bar for the past twenty miles of god-forsaken trail, were silly
enough to leave it unprotected for thirty seconds on a rock while you were
peeing in the bushes and your horse knows perfectly well how ticked off
you're going to be when you see him licking his lips and the chocolate bar
history.

If you'd been carrying mashed potatoes in your saddlebags and had been
really looking forward to *that* at the stop, THEN your horse would prefer
eating  mashed potatoes.

> 2)  Why doesn't anyone make an edible saddle pad?

You obviously haven't met my horse Dakota.  Saddle pads are quite edible,
thank you, also buckets, heart monitors, new bridles and vet's fingers.

> 3)  Why can't horses make their own dang shoes?

Because they don't have opposable thumbs to lace shoelaces through the
little holes.

> 4)  When will the first self-grooming horse be available?

You just have the wrong definition of "groomed".  If you would just be happy
with mud-caked, artfully tangled mane and suspicious green splotches, you'd
be much happier with your horse's effort to keep himself presentable.

> 5)  And last but not least, can you explain why my saddle only fits "the
> horse next door"?

Same reason your horse will only eat his neighbor's mash and hay at vet
checks, only has a resting heart rate of 12 when the vet is looking
elsewhere, trots out kinda funny when the vet *is* paying attention and only
spooks at his own poop when you're trying to sell him and/or justify the
breeding program that produced this congenital idiot.

Can I talk at Reno now?  Please?

Susan G