Re: RC: Sacramento Horse Auction

In a message dated 10/05/2000 5:15:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tos@htcomp.net writes:

<< I looked at these horses that sold and was
 curious about their performance records since this was advertised as an
 'endurance, or distance horse sale' with the horses having to be 'approved'
 to be offered. >>

In many cases, the horses were really "endurance horse prospects".

<<I'd be interested to know what criteria the general buyer is going
to put on the history/ancestors of an endurance baby....  Where do you
(public 'you') put the importance?  one or both parents? sire/dam personal
miles or full or half siblings? What about grandparents?>>

The one I bought has phenomenal conformation for a prospect, his breeding
reflects several generations and bloodlines of proven endurance, and I like
his disposition and his kindness.  Both his breeder and his trainer are very
endurance experienced, the breeder used to compete some years ago, the
trainer still does.  And I had complete trust in both of them.  All of these
factors went into my decision.  No one was able to try the horses for way of
going, but when his trainer told me this was the most comfortable horse he
had ever ridden, I took that to heart.  He fits Julie Suhr's three S rule for
"Riding into Your 70s and Beyond"...Safety, Smoothness, and Shortness.  This
colt is at present 14.2 as a 4 year old, but I will bet he will mature at or
near 15 hands by age 7, he is smooth, and safety?  We don't know yet, but
that's up to me.  He's beautifully started and has all the proper responses
in place (go, whoa, back up, and side pass, soft mouth).  It's up to me to
put in at least 2 years of introduction to our trails and to long slow
distance.  I hope I may be worthy of his quality and his trust.

Barbara