Re: RC: "Cushinoid syndrome horse?"

> My question is: has anyone out there had a similar experience
> with high insulin levels, and what was the diagnosis/treatment,
> and any suggestions??

I had a mare whose ONLY presenting symptom of Cushing's for a long time
was a slightly coarser coat than in her youth. (age probably 20-23)
Never did any bloodwork.

She suddenly took a turn downhill, weak, pale membranes, inappetance.
Bloods showed severe anemia. Vet felt this had been gradual onset since
values that low with sudden onset would have killed the horse.  Ran an
ACTH and she was (quite literally) off the chart.  Also positive fecal
occult blood, from both the cushings & likely internal melanoma.

Acupuncture every other day for blood boosting (a couple weeks),
cyproheptadine (vaguely recall 40 mg twice a day), and she came around.
Lived several months before succumbing to malignant melanoma.

I wish you the best.  What tests have you run for Cushing's?

-Abby

--
* * *
Abby Bloxsom