Saddle Fit

> Marv, I absolutely agree with you that saddle fit is an ongoing process. As
> one who has experienced a horse that dramatically from season to season
> despite expert fitting several times a year.
> And, Lynda Townsend please do not respond to this message. I use the EVAC
> pad that allows you adjust the fit.

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with anyone on saddle fitting.

I was just asking a hypothetical and relaying my opinion and
thoughts on an area that I have had very little problem with
over the years.  The fitting of a saddle that is used to cover
a 100 miles of varying terrain is a far cry from the fitting
of a saddle for an hour's ride around the yard.

As a long time competitive speed-eventer I know that small
adjustments can make huge differences at the finish line.  I
also know as a long time horseman that horses' physiques can
change very quickly.  It seems to me that a *combination* of
saddle AND pad fitting would be a more logical way to go.

I certainly wouldn't shut out a pad or saddle professional on
the basis they have a vested interest.  In many cases they have
a wealth of experience and the benefit of research unavailable
to the layman.  But I wouldn't automatically accept everything
either.

The best endurance rider I know personally (I've taken a few of
her seminars and we know each other on sight) is Linda Tellington-
Jones and I've actually seen her ride relatively little.  She *IS*
a professional and has a vested interest in what she provides - the
results of her experiences.  If I had dreams of competitive distance
riding I'd be standing in her pocket and *analyzing* every word out
of her mouth.

Marv "Smart people say, 'It's time to call in the Professionals'
before the competition hires them all away." Walker
--
Upcoming 2000 Clinics
Madison (Atlanta) GA Oct 14-15, 2000