Re: RC: flat backed horses

In a message dated 10/1/00 7:16:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
michrowe@frontier.net writes:

<<   I am riding her with my Aussie, which is fairly flat, but the back end
of the saddle is still popped up a bit more than I'd like.  Will a saddle pad
make this saddle work for a while until she muscles up?  The saddle fits well
through the shoulders, withers, and is not bridging in the middle.  Sweat
pattern is OK looking. >>

Hi Michelle!  I'm using a Reactor Panel saddle on my "off the track" guy --
works great and its adjustable so that we can change the fit as we go.  I
tried "padding up" my OF saddle that fits my much wider horse to a "t" to
make it work for the ex-race horse (Star).  I learned for myself the truth in
"If the saddle doesn't fit, there isn't a pad made that will MAKE it fit".
You probably don't have to worry too much until you start doing longer
distances with your guy.  Until then, I'd use the Aussie (if its a reasonable
fit) then see about getting a saddle that is fitted specifically for him.
He'll change a lot just between now and when he's ready for more distance
work.  Might as well wait till then.

Sylvia