Re: RC: Conformation flaws that are "Deal Breakers"

--- Kimberly Friedman <kimber@telis.org> wrote:

> I've been looking for a young horse to buy,

> For example, I looked at this filly last week:
> http://kfdesign.com/horses/prospects/TexannaSide.jpg

> ...except it looks like she's a bit calf-kneed.

Kimberly,

She is not only calf kneed, but has a wide open loin,
weak into the crouper and her neck is hung too low on
her shoulders for dressage.  As well, her hocks are
too small.  I am sure she will be a fine CTR mount,
but I wouldn't waste the money on trying to get her
conformation to do third level dressage.  It will be
too frustrating for both of you and very hard for her.

> > > My goal for this horse is for us to get up to,
> perhaps, third level
> dressage, and do competitive trail

I would pull out Deb Bennett's conformation books
and/or go to one of her workshops to learn more about
conformation weaknesses and what to look for in a
dressage mount vs. trail mount.  Valuable information.

I admire your bravery at asking a wide open forum to
criticize conformation.  I bet you will get lots of
for dressage, but she looks a lot like my part Russian
gelding I use for distance.  We did lots of lessons
and he couldn't (I couldn't) get out of the low
school.  He did win a training level class once,
though. Tough on trail.  I won't leave home without
him.

She

=====
She