Re: RC: Square pegs in round holes (drug use in horses)

At 09:59 AM 10/1/00, Kristi wrote:
>Should he be "retired" and never ridden again at age 10 for the sake of
>saying that I'd never use drugs to make my horse usable? To me, that's the
>same question as asking if my mother, who has rheumatoid arthritis, should
>quit taking the meds that allow her to continue her career as an
>antique dealer.

Yes, it's like your mother's situation, but your mother isn't competing in
no-drugs-allowed sports, is she?  Your horse *should* be retired from
competition so he can get the medication he needs, but that doesn't mean he
can't be ridden at all.  Your mother couldn't compete in the Olympics on
her meds, but she can continue her career in antiques.  So your horse can
be ridden, but not in competition that has drug rules.  Lif

             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html