Whining Ridecampers

I choose to look at the whining in a postitive light. Yes, I've managed
rides, albeit small ones. I know how hard it is to take being criticized at
the ride. But we should all strive to improve, & try to provide what the
riders really want the most at a ride. Do they want food, vets, awards,
trail markers? It seems what really bothers people the most is surprises. As
long as riders know what to expect they can take it. Here I can read what's
written & NOT take it personally, just keep it in mind when planning the
next ride.
In the case of Vet check lines, when you're deluged with unexpected riders,
or have a vet cancel out, share this with the riders at the ride meeting!
Most riders will plan for waiting either by having snacks ready in line or
spacing themselves out on trail. If they choose not to, you can shrug off
their complaints, because they were warned.
If people who can't do their own P&R's are causing a problem, offer to have
help sessions (any knowledgable rider can offer to do this) the day/evening
before the ride.
I know rides can't exist without managers & it can be a thankless job, but
I'm kinda put off by the "take what you get or I won't do it anymore"
attitude if there is honestly room for improvement.
Riders have a lot of time, money & emotional investment in their horses and
preparation for endurance. They deserve the best, safest ride that's
reasonable! If the rider's expectations are unrealistic for the conditions,
they deserve an explaination, not a threat.
Of course, there are those who are never satisfied, and I can pretty much
ignore unjustified complaints.
Nancy Mitts
Central Region