Re: RC: Facts on threatened trail closures in all states?...

Nancy,
First of all, bless you for responding to my post. Secondly, can you get the
new version of this message to me by tomorrow? I'm facing deadline and
wanted to print it in the form of a report in TrailSavers.

What I found particularly of value was the Director's suggestion about
effective letter writing. However, I disagree with him about equestrians
being a "very narrow interest group." We've been perceived that way by the
public because the equestrian masses traditionally have been so bloody quiet
and complacent. It's time for California to take a break from obsessing on
endangered rodents and the like and to learn how fundamental the horse has
been to its history.

I've been following a re-zoning issue in the Santa Monica mountains (where I
grew up) that could ultimately shut down a lot of the horse operations and
curtail riding activities. There is a groundswell of equestrians who are
feeling moved to action by such a proposal. What horse groups lack is
visibility caused by a lack of organization, scope and "muscle." We spend
quantities in upkeep on a monthly basis ($5,000,000,000 spent nationally
last year just within the horse industry), far more than hikers or bikers
spend, in order to pursue our pastime. Yet, we're easily dismissed as a
"narrow interest group" This isn't helped by the fact that we often shoot
ourselves in the foot by factioning into opinionated subgroups. We need to
present a solid front to bureaucrats and anti-equestrian groups. But that
will only happen when horse people get fired up and organized enough to get
into the political arena both locally and nationally. After all, the *other*
trail interests have been doing it for quite some time now and just look at
what they've accomplished... :-[

Let me know if I can count on your piece to include in TrailSavers this
issue, okay?

Thanks so much,

Bonnie Jackson
TB