Re: RC: Re: Safe starts at races...

In a message dated 01/22/2000 7:49:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
riosanbravo@hotmail.com writes:

<< Well, I would like to hear what RMs have to say about safe starts >>

On our rides, there is 1/2 mile on the flat until the trail starts to climb
steeply, and it climbs for the next 1-1/2 miles.  I warn riders that is
pretty easy to tie up a horse on that uphill stretch.  They usually take that
to heart.  I also tell them that races are not won in the first 2 miles, so
take it easy until they reach the 2 mile point and the horse warms up.  From
2 miles till 7 miles the terrain is basically flat, so then they can stretch
out if they like.

Barbara McCrary
Ride mgr., Castle Rock 50 and Swanton Pacific 100
On central coast CA, where it is now raining cats and dogs!