From penelope_75647@yahoo.com  Fri Sep 29 08:36:10 2000
From: sharp penny <penelope_75647@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: RC:  Rearing Horses
To: "guest@endurance.net" <guest@endurance.net>

  A horse that is moving forward can not rear. Keep
her moving forward and her front legs busy (as well as
her mind) with lots of changes of direction while in a
forward motion. Another  great idea is to teach her to
lower her head on demand. This utilizes the concept
that a horse with its nose close to the ground cannot
rear. This is a John Lyons concept and works really
well. The head down on demand also works great for the
excited horse. John Lyons has a great 2 video set
called "On the trail with John lyons" that goes into
how to teach this cue as well as other problem solving
exercises. I highly recomended it.
    My husbands rope horse reared in the roping box
due to nerves and excitment. He taught him the head
down on demand cue as outlined in the tape. First we
taught him the cue in a non excitable calm
environment.(The back pasture for him at a walk) Once
he learned the cue and responded 100% of the time at
the walk, we incerased the excitement level to a trot,
then an easy lope then  a gallop. When the gelding was
100% responsive at all four gates we took him to the
roping pen at home. When he was 100% there we hauled
him to a team roping and worked him during the warm-up
times. When he was 100% at all 4 gates there, we
worked on the cue in the roping box at home and then
finally the roping box at a practise roping and then
in the box at a competition. The other ropers can't
believe its the same horse. He walks in the box now
calmly, no prancing,dancing and rearing. It was a long
process but it worked and was well worth the time and
effort.
     Not once was a round pen used<BG> we just
utilized the concept "ride where you can, not where
you can't", worked on what needed fixing there and
then increased the excitement level using faster gates
and more stimulating riding environment.
      The head down on demand is one of the first cues
I teach any horse I own. Thats how valueable I think
this cue is.

   Penny