Rearing Horses

Nicky SassylilGhost@Yahoo.com
Ok, this is the problem. My horse just started rearing about 5 months ago. She's gotten better about not rearing now, but she will start to rear everynow and again still. I believe the problem started when I switched bits from a dee ring snaffle to a curb bit. The problem was that I was not aware of the differences and tried using them in the same manner. Learned very quickly that you can't do that when I landed on my rear. So, I switched back to the Dee Ring snaffle and thought the problem was solved, but I was wrong. She seems to spook when I try to work her in the round pen and there are other horses tied to the outside of it or if a certain man is near the round pen. I understand why she spooks around this guy, because he makes me very nervous to ride around him. My question is how can I solve the spooking around the other horses. Or atleast stop her from rearing? I've been told to hit her between the ears while she's rearing, but I personally refuse to strick her that way. I have found that if I anticipate the rear and I put my hand on her neck and tell her down that she won't rear, her front feet come up just alittle, but as soon as I do that she settles down. I guess my real question is, Is what I'm doing the right thing or is there another way?

Thanks for any help,
Nicky