round pen

Dear Lif,

>One thing that I think gets overlooked in some round pen failure situations
(for instance, mine) is that some *people* don't work well in a round pen.
Not every human is suited for round pen work.>

The other thing to consider is that, for some people and horses, the round
pen is a place to WORK.  I long-rein and free lunge my horses.  I don't WANT
them turning towards me, or slowing down, etc, I want them to concentrate on
where they are going so that they don't trip over the cavalettis, placing
poles, trotting poles, etc, that I'va painstakingly spent the last hour
putting up.  Sure, I want them tuned in to me, but I like them to work
relaxed, in a cadenced rhythmic gait, listening to what I say.  That is what
I use the ring for.

>Don't anyone get their hackles up about it, but the round pen isn't the
end-all and be-all answer for every problem, since there are two important
variables in round pen work:  Horse AND human.  If they both don't want to
be there it just ain't agonna work.

Clap!  Clap!  Clap!  Loud whistles and applause!

(and a whispered "me too")

Tracey