Starting endurance with CTR

 From a Newbie's point of view maybe you should try
CTR first before tackling endurance.

That certainly helped in my case.  I didn't start riding until late in my life
and did 3 years of CTR - the ECTRA version on the East coast - not NATRC -
before trying endurance.

While the pace can be actually faster than a LD - you need to finish the 25 miles
in 4 to 4.5 hours rather than a max of 6 for LD - you learn a lot about pacing
and taking care of your horse.

There certainly is no incentive to race  and I believe the CTR first for me worked
well.

Mike