over riding horse

<IMHO> I would think that sometimes overriding would result is lack of
education. I would take the person aside and explain to them why you have
logical reason to believe they would be over riding the horse. I would give
examples and offer to help mentor. When you approach someone for this they
are going to automatically go on the defensive. Lack of education sometimes
brings on embarrassment which then will put the person on the defensive. You
can't get anywhere with that kind of personality. However, if they truly
want what is best they will ask and seek advice. If that person continues to
override I am certain that that persons name will be known through out the
rides they attend. People like that get to be quite known and they have a
hard time completing rides. Be patient in telling them and don't threaten.
Sometimes people just don't know their horses capabilities until someone has
to point them out. And for someone on the outside looking in it can be very
embarrassing.
At my first ride I was clueless as to what the vet was looking at. Heck I
still have problems reading a pulse. I have to get a monitor! But after the
ride was over I went to the Vet and asked what were they looking at what did
all this mean and how was it judged on my card! I never realized that mucus
membranes was so important! I knew that the skin test was for hydration and
I always thought that gut sounds was just a hungry horse! boy did I get
educated! I never realized that poop color was important as pee color!! and
don't let me get into textures!!! no poop was bad and poop was good.dark pee
was bad and clear was good! gray gums are bad good healthy pink is good!
tummy rumbles good no tummy rumbles bad! eating is good! not eating bad!
see! I learned soo much! I never had a clue why everyone carried TP on the
trail! not only can you wipe the tail but you can mark the trail!
And it took me forever to understand what the hell all these damned
abbreviations! I waiting on the translation book you know Endurance for
Dummies! I think that Merryben and Claudia are starting on it. With an
introductory from Lif, real life storys from Tina Hicks, with scientific
information from TI, and an afterward from Truman. Teddy will be the first
to have the hardcover editions! I of course will be the model with ansata of
HOW NOT to DO this!
Carla (practicing my smiles for camera)
Ansata (I like her better with a soft hack!)
Haley (You educate em mom!)
Rob (still trying to master the quick release knot!)