FW: wet weather riding

GoreTex gloves from Cabela's, www.cabelas.com.
GoreTex pants, $100, non-camouflage pattern, Cabela's.
GoreTex jacket, anywhere like REI, North Face, etc. -- they're easily
washable in pure detergent like All, etc. so mud and horse byproducts are no
problem.
GoreTex hunting boots like Timberland or other -- good for walking in the
mud too, unlike Ariats. I wear my GoreTex boots all day every day at the
ranch starting with the first rain of fall.
Wool cowboy or snap brim hat will keep you warm even if wet, and they don't
seem to get soaked through very easily either. The only GoreTex brimmed hat
I'm aware of is from Outdoor Research; just a waterproof crown is useless --
you'll have a cold wet ring around your head where the hat sits.

Rub plenty of Lexol into all your leather tack. The Lexol pre-empts the
water, which will run right off, not penetrating -- I've had leather exposed
to rain for many seasons with no evident effect. You should be rubbing Lexol
into your leather anyway because it's good for it.

I don't own any stock in Gore, but I've been wearing their stuff since it
came out. Tack up like I'm saying and you'll ride around in the rain like
the weather was dry, except that everything is very pretty. It's like
wearing regular cloth as far as breathability -- you'll never be aware it's
waterproof until you notice the world around you is cold and wet but you
feel like you're in your livingroom.

Except for the short daylight, winter's my favorite time of year to ride --
it's cool and the horse is happy as long as you stay above 15 degrees
Farenheit -- not hard to do.

Regards,

Michael Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical (USA)