Re: RC: dealing with refusals-how far do you push them?

Ditto to Abby's method.  Wait 'em out.  Safer.  I've sort of refined the
method with my boy.  I now ask for one step towards a scary object.  He now
knows that all he's being asked for is one step & he can stop.  I carry those
baby carrots with me (cause I'm too lazy to cut up the big ones!), so he gets
a reward for his "one step."  After he gets to look things over, I ask for
another "one step."  After a few "one steps" he often decides that things
aren't so scary after all & proceeds on his own.
I've also found that after you get a young horse acclimated to the trail,
that when an experienced horse doesn't want to go forward, there can be a
very good reason (such as a snake, poor footing, a mother goose around the
bend protecting her nest, etc.).
The waiting, go slow method keeps the horse calm.  They soon learn that you
are not going to ask for more than they can handle, helps them to develop
trust in you which can be invaluable down the road (so to speak).

Nancy
Md