Quarter Horses

Jack Safford safford@cwnet.come
In response to the person asking about quarter horses in endurance. I have been riding one for the last three years and have done pretty good. I am a heavy weight and have completed about 18 rides with no pulls. My horse though is an appendix quarter which means he is half Thoroughbred. So he is not the heavily muscled horse like most quarters. He has had several top tens and has completed Tevis and just recently Virginia City 100.

His down fall is slow recoveries. On a couple of rides I would be in the top five and come to a vet check with a few miles to go and I would have to wait for him to come down. I would sit there and watch the Arabs come in and leave in a few minutes.

All in all he has been a very good endurance horse and I think I got lucky with him. My next horse will be an Arab just because they are the ultimate choice for endurance. But if that is the horse that you have give him a try and see what happens, besides, it is fun being an underdog.

J Safford