From: DVeritas@aol.com [mailto:DVeritas@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 6:16 AM
To: Marv@marvwalker.com
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Spooking and, ETC>>>>>>>>>>>>

In a message dated 9/20/00 8:59:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
Marv@MarvWalker.com writes:

<< In actuality, the ONLY source of safety, confidence and comfort
 a horse has is in the herd.  >>

    You must be talking about an untrained horse, a feral horse or some
other
horse, 'cause that statement is simply not true.  My horses, as well as
others in the real world, defer to me when under saddle, and not because
I am
their "herd leader".  They have learned to trust me and THAT THEIR JOB
IN
LIFE HAS CHANGED AND THEY ARE NOT RUNNING LOOSE IN A HERD IN THE RUBY
MOUNTAINS.   That happens over time and life experiences together...sure
my
horses and I play "join up" or "bonder" or whatever word you want to
call the
horse's responses based on the herd dynamic, BUT, that DOES NOT ALWAYS
RESULT
IN A RELIABLE MOUNT.  It must be BUILT from that point.
    The moment we slip a halter on a horse, WE are redefining the
horse's
world.  Meeting them "half-way" is not a bad thing (IMO), but we
certainly
aren't becoming a herd, though that dynamic is not a bad place to start
putting a horse at ease with whom we are and what we want from them.
    I believe that Threat Assessment Capabilities range from the barely
existant to the acute in horses, regardless of breed or nature of
performance.
    And, it seems to me, that the better horse world is a world
populated by
those horses whose ability to determine what is and what isn't a threat
is
refined and fine-honed and not simply passed to a (so called) "herd
leader."....(although the "herd leader", "join up" or "bonder"  has a
cause/effect dynamic on the horse/person relationship (predicated on
"horse
behavior responses), it is not the same as good, effective horse
training.)
    Now, that said, I want to reiterate the phrase, "good, effective
horse
training".
    Horses can become accountable (read, "want to") for their behavior
and
everything out there is not based on some R-complex brain behavior that
was
discovered by some guy speaking "EQUUS" or whatever.
     Horsemanship and (so called) "Natural Horsemanship" can and do
complement each other.  But, "Natural Horsemanship" without Horsemanship

places a lot of people in dangerous and unfamiliar territory.
     Have a nice "Mind Meeting Mind Moment",

                Frank Solano