Spooking and other problems you have asked me about....

> Hello Marv,
>
> I would like to find out about the bonder....I find your comments
> interesting,and enlightening, especially the part about spooking.
>
> Here is a question-if the horse is by itself and has no other horse to
> take direction from (example of a loose horse in a round pen), how is
> it that some horses are just more spooky than others?  You could put
> lots of loose tarps in the round pen, plastic bags tied to the posts,
> scary things, etc. Some horses will just not care, and some will come
> unglued.  Is it just that those that don't spook are confident horses
> and the others not confident? I am taking also about a horse with no
> human to turn to, either.....
>
> Looking forward to hearing more,

First of all let me apologize if you (general you here) have
asked me a specific question and I do not respond in a timely
fashion.  I am usually innundated with email on any typical day
any way but since Shannon Smith brought my name up on this list
my normally high mail count has spiked considerably with spooking
being by far and away the main topic.  You may find some insights
for your problems on my web site http://MarvWalker.com .  If you
feel, for whatever reason, that you need my personal attention,
nagging never hurts - persistence works.

The lead horse determines the spooking tolerance of the herd.
Since as you pointed out, horses have different levels of concern,
the herd leader along with her (and herd leaders are almost totally
mares) level of concern sets the spook level of the herd.

Can one horse be a herd?  I'm not really sure.  I believe that
nature is so powerful and so persausive that one horse can indeed
be a horse.  A herd consists of a leader and one or more followers.
Can a horse be both?  I think so.  The horse is leading (relying
on his ability to lead such as it is and reacting accordingly).
I do know that a single horse is the one who determines his level
of spook.  Alone, his spook level may even be higher than it is
when he is with another horse.  Sometimes you can put a "bombproof"
horse in with a highly spooked horse and the bombproof seems to
forget his bombproofing.

Spooking has a number of variables and it really isn't all that
cut and dried.  Its level ebbs and flows based on a number of
conditions influencing the horse at any given time.

In actuality, the ONLY source of safety, confidence and comfort
a horse has is in the herd.  In the herd, the horse knows EXACTLY
what is expected of him and he KNOWS that he can produce what is
expected of him.  It is instinctive and it has been genetically
ingrained since way before man walked on this earth.

When we take a horse from a herd situation where he is genetically
predisposed to be and take him into a human world, it becomes a
battle of happy mediums from day one.  We expect the horse to
conform to human desires, traits and qualities - areas that are
totally foreign to them.  For a long time, until they get accustomed
to OUR actions they are highly confused as to what to expect and
what is expected of them.  Some horses never fully reach any degree
of comfort and confidence - they look everywhere for the unexpected,
they are apprehensive as all get out.  A paper plate or a shiny can
is every bit as dangerous to many of them as a semi bearing down on
them with horns and brakes screaming.

The reason my bonding procedure works so well is that it places the
horse in a position it is genetically used to - herd dynamics:
following the lead of a being who is exhibiting leadership actions.
In a herd there are ONLY two options open to a horse, comply or
capably confront.  Since we have greater reasoning power than the
horse we can place it in a situation where it is unable to capably
confront.  That then leaves only one option for the horse - it complies
- it accepts leadership.

When a horse (any being for that matter) accepts leadership, it gives
up responsibilty.  One of the responsibilities of a leader is
determining threat levels.

Once you have obtained that position of leadership and demonstrate
that you have leadership abilities, the horse's faith increases and
his fear decreases.

Again, horses are individuals and not all horses will present the same
degree of faith according to a particular timeline.  It is not the
objects that cause the problem. It is the faith, or the connection,
the horse has in the human.

When you demonstrate in all facets that you have leadership abilities
the horse follows you and is less likely to allow the glint of an
abandoned Speed Queen to chase it back to the barn.

Considering the number of folks from here who have requested the bonder,
it seems to me that a few of them at least should have accomplished
the procedure in the next two days and will be able to report on their
experiences.

The bonder is but a small part of what I do with horses and there are
other things that influence spooking as well as a lack of place, such
as cervical subluxations.  If a horse has vertebrae out of alignment
in its neck, or its atlas and/or axis are twisted the horse is often
unable to fluidly glance at a potential spook.  In order to assess it
properly with a minimum of pain it must change its body angle to
inspect the spook.  Kind of how you move when you have a painfully
stiff neck, you turn your body rather than turning your neck.  The
faster it is moving when it does this, the more exaggerated the effects.

You can test for atlas/axis twisting by comparing the gap between
the jaw bone and the first bony segment of the neck.  The gap should
be the same on both sides of the horse's head.  You can often check
for cervical subluxations by bending the first joint of your fingers
and forming a hook hand and pulling it down your horse's cervicals.
You are looking for bumps, like rocks or baseballs are sitting under
the skin.  Compare each side.  If your examination uncovers anything,
your horse needs an equine chiro.  Even if you do not uncover anything,
chiro very often lessens, sometimes eliminates spooking.

Each clinic that I do end up having a predominant theme where the
majority of the horses exhibit the same problem.  One clinic it's
aggression, another, refusing to stand, another, starting under
saddle and so on.  I call it the Karmic Influence.  I'm almost
willing to bet my next clinic in Madison, GA Oct 14-15th, or
Murfeesboro, TN Nov 11-12 will be spooking.

Marv "Feeling real Halloweenie here." Walker
--
Marv Walker ~ Kellie Sharpe
Mind Meeting Mind In Minutes Clinic