Thanks for Acorn Stories

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on the possible hazards of
acorn ingestion. I heard from three different people who had horses founder
when eating a lot of acorns, at least one case of colic and several  people
who's horses had no adverse effects other than possibly gaining weight. My
fear was that they would prove to be toxic causing organ damage. I can see
that the primary worry may be that the sudden increase in calories/protein
could trigger founder in susceptible individuals. I did take my tree
identification books out to the paddocks and learned that I have primarily
Pin Oaks which seem to have few and small acorns. There are several White
Oaks which are the ones that are producing a lot of large and surprisingly
soft acorns. No Red Oak after all. As I can easily fence off most of the
White Oaks I've done that and Hoover (Wicomico Sura) has to settle on eating
everything else on the farm. Thanks again.

Bonnie Snodgrass