Re: RC: saddle fit HELP

In a message dated 9/18/00 6:30:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, TddWil@aol.com
writes:

<< So after a few weeks
 off we did 20 mi yesterday. He had dry spots and a lump on either side of
the
 withers. He lost hair on the white spot on the left side of his withers >>

It's possible that with a few weeks off, he changed shape slightly, either
gaining or losing weight or muscle in that area.  The saddle should be set up
on the shoulder blades and then slid back into place every time with a hard
to fit horse.  Even a little bit out of position can cause a different fit.
Also, try a woolback pad or a Skito pad, as they are more forgiving than a
felt pad.  It is also possible that a horse who is not butt-high still has a
downhill back, with the saddle slipping back into a deep pocket behind the
shoulder.  My friend has a horse like this.  She does use a pad that is
slightly built up in front.  Also if the saddle is TOO WIDE, it will be
downhill, and cause more pressure behind the shoulder blade.  I am a fan of
Wintecs, but finally bought a Solstice for out-of-arena riding, because the
panels are wider, longer, and softer feeling on the back.  My friend tells me
anyway.  She got down on all fours and had someone set each saddle on her
back then sit in it.  I wasn't there wish I had PICS!   And probably in the
next year or two I will buy another saddle, because nothing ever seems to fit
right for very long, and if it fits one horse it definitely will not fit her
daughter!.  Best of luck on the great saddle hunt.

jeri (who now owns six saddles, and two horses)