Hog Wild Ride Results & story

    Well, this ride was what we would call...an experience!  I never would
have thought a day could be so hot!!
    First of all, I want to thank all of my "cooked" volunteers that stuck in
there!  We had provided pop-up tents, but only a few at a time were able to
take advantage of it.  They stuck in there and tried to make it work for you
and us.  Thank You so MUCH!
    We had tried to prepare for high temperatures but nothing like what in
fact it was.  97 degrees at 9:30am and112 degrees at 1:00pm.  By 3:20pm it
was still 108 degrees!
    I felt so sorry for the riders and the horses!  We had bought over 100
gallons of drinking water for the riders, Vets and volunteers.  Plus, 5 cases
(36 to a case) of smaller water bottles for each vet check.  15 cases in all!
 We still ran out.  We had also included 15 cases of soft drinks, and ran out
of these too.  We made many trips for ice and the ice was not keeping the
drinks cold for over an hour.  I could give you a count but haven't got there
yet on the ice thing.  I stopped counting at around 45 bags.
    One of the major problems that we had, and I'm sure sorry for this
was...my husband was pre-scouting the trails after VC1 and found that someone
had removed all of the ribbons for 7 miles.  At 9:00am it was 94 degrees and
we were preparing to put in extra water for the horses.  Only to find no
ribbons, spray chalk, and all signs were all down.  We jumped on the 3
wheeler and started marking fast!!  I ran up and down so many hills that I
thought I would drop right there and quit. This also made us late in setting
up water for the front runners and I'm sure we will hear more about this from
some of them.  I had two choices and those were; stop the ride at that point
or let some horses go by without water at this area.  Since it was only 3
miles to the VC2, I choose to mark the trail and get back with the water ASAP.
    One thing I would like to mention is the lunch we had provided for
Riders, Vets, and Volunteers.  We ran out due to crew people eating the
sandwiches!  I had 5 doz. P&J's and 160 Hye Roll (custom made) Ham, Turkey,
Cheese sandwiches at VC2 and 2 doz. P&J's and 80 Hye Roll sandwiches at
VC1&3.  I have no idea why this had to happen to our riders.  I felt so sorry
for the riders that came in only to find no food.
    All in all, I thought the riders were understanding and very nice.  I'm
sure some are upset but this weather thing was (of course) out of my control.
    Since this was a new ride and due to the previous heat earlier in the
week, we never would have thought this was that tuff of a ride.  But was I
wrong!  I had some people come in with counts of over 9,000 ft of climb on
these trails.  I won't do this trail again.
    Since I had so much trouble of trail markings being removed across the
2nd half and the mountains were never ending, I would say we won't be using
this part again for the next years to come.  So riders, I will make sure that
this will be an easier trail to ride.  I would also like to have just 2 loops
and back to base camp at half way.  This way, crews can eat and drink their
own food in camp.
    I would like to hear some other ideas from anyone about how to improve.
Besides the above mention.  I've got that changed already in our plans.  I
will once again try for a later date as previous planned for this year...but
it didn't work out.  I have to make sure that we don't interfere with other
rides in this region.  So if there is no room for another ride with a later
date available then we will look into the beginning of the year.  Feb. is out
do to rain and our soil liquefies into drop offs.  March maybe?  If there is
no room for other ride in the beginning or end of the year then I guess we
don't need another ride in this region.  Summer months are not for us or you!
    Another thing here is, I want to thank my husband most of all "Charlie
Robinson" for all of his VERY HARD work in getting water, markings and
cleaning up before, during, and after this ride!   Thanks Babe!
Here are the results for Hog Wild Sept.16, 2000. Or what some of you called
"Tammy's Tevis"! <VBG> :)
Hog Wild - 60 Miler
Starters - 50
Finishers - 36

1. Suzey Kelly...6:32...1st-FW...La Petite Dancer
2. Renee Bowers...6:42...BC...Spring Dancer
3. Jonthan Bowman...6:50...1st-HW...Kitt
4. Linda Morelli...6:52...1st-LW...Kisnet Kokom
5.  Charlene Lewis...8:07...1st-MW...Mistanza
6. Jordan Finley    ...8:07.1...1st-JR...MS Mischa
7. Jim Mitchell...8:14...Fire Mt. Smoke
8. Jamie Mitchell...8:14.1...Lancelor
9. Sherry Stockton...8:21...Freebee
10. Susan Castang...8:34...Magistic Jahad
11. Kirsten Seyferth...8:35...Scatris
12. Tonia De Koff...8:35.1...Zuma IV
13. Bonnie Brown...8:37...Jamel Parada
14. Tracy Cary...9:04...Phoenix
15. Sue Grahl...9:21...PR Rousing Cheer
16. Elfta Hilzman...9:37...Luna
17. Tony Clark...9:37.1...Nayarre HCC
18. Kris Olka...9:40...Hammod
19. Sue Elkland...9:40.1....Estrella de Fuego
20. Ed Spitzer...9:57...Cognac
21. Debbie Ekhaml...9:57.1...Dakota's Gold
22. Theresa Bitondo...9:57.2...Crystal Dawn
23. Ernest Lohman...9:58...Woa Don Juan
24. Tobey Tackitt...10:24...QC Emotion
25. Sara Zabriskie...10:24.1...Aria Primavera
26. Brooke Niebergall...10:44...Koztarr
27. Marci Cunningham...10:44.1...Fire Mt. Torch
28. April Mitchell...10:49...JD
29. Alicia Mitchell...10:49.1...Bar Ra Dar
30. Dabney Finch...10:52...Paranna
31. Diana Hiiesalu...10:53...Tahoe
32. Carol Resner...10:57...Lil Orphann Annie
33. Phyllis Duval...10:57.1...Bullit
34. Sue Benson...10:57.2...Captain Nemo
35. Celia Sackar...11:06...DS April
36. Mike Stueve...11:07...Rett Butler