Head down?

Hey Ti, Heidi and other lameness experts:

As I said, I'm trying to bring my TWH mare back from an injury.  Our first
ride, she just wanted to fly.  In subsequent rides, she's settled down a lot.
 But yesterday, she walked along with her head really low.  Not sniffing the
ground or stretching -- just holding it really low like a western pleasure
quarter horse -- below the withers.  Generally, in order to gait, these
horses need their heads up.  When I asked her to raise her head and for the
gait, she would raise her head on command, but then lower it and throw it
back up and lurch into a trot and then lower her head again.  The trot was
even and sound once she was in it, BTW.  After about a mile and half, she
seemed to warm up out of it and gaited just fine with her head where it
always it.  She was fine for a mile and then the head went way down again.

She's never done this before in response to being tired.  My TWH gelding
would hold his head this low only when he was in pain, but then the low head
carriage was combined with a head bob toward the opposite side from the leg
where the pain was.  Special had no head bob at the trot.  She always has
head bob at the walk and the gait, but the head bob remained completely
symetrical during this ride.  I can't see or feel any lameness and I trotted
her out for a friend who didn't see anything (and he's really good at seeing
lameness).  Any ideas?  Should I stop riding her?

Rhonda and Special