Re: [Fwd: Training ride today]

>> Don -
>>    You said something in the below post that I feel compelled to comment
on.
>>   If you wait long enough for your horse to realize the bit is no longer
>> attached to the bridle, I'm pretty sure he'll lower his head and gently
>> release the bit.  Horse's usually cradle the bit with their tongues when
>> ridden, and are sometimes worried the mouthpiece will hit their teeth when
>> the bit is removed.  It's just my suggestion, but I'd bet your horse would
>> appreciate your allowing him to release the bit instead of your pulling it
>> out of his mouth.
>>
>> - Olivia

This made me chuckle.  Billy has an issue with letting go of the bit
despite conscious efforts to not bang his teeth (getting progressively
better each time tho.)  Today it was just unclipped from the sidepull and
we waited for him to drop it himself as per the normal routine.  It usually
takes him a couple of minutes or so to let go of it (not making an issue of
it has worked well with him)...as soon as he decided he was tired of
holding it up with his tongue, he'll open his mouth and let it drop out.
Today he let it drop down to his lips and then tossed it several feet
towards the truck.  I think we have a game of (Bean Bag) Bit Toss going
here! ;-)

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm