Re: RC: Nipping horse

In a message dated 9/12/00 10:51:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jazena@kelp.net
writes:

<< Could you help me with a problem with  my 4 1/2 y.o. gelding?  He nips,
chews and holds things in his mouth, like the shank on the bit, the lead
rope, the reins, my stirrups, anything he can get his teeth on.  The vet
checked him last month and said he would need to have his teeth floated in
about 3 mos.  He grabbed my hat off my head today, and I have to be careful
or he will nip my hands arms etc.  I know this can become a dangerous habit,
so what do I do to correct it???  I have slapped him under his chin so he
won't see me do it, but it doesn't seem to be working.  He was gelded about 9
mos. ago and I wonder if it is just left over hormones.  Help please!! >>
I have one very helpful suggestion...John Lyons. His take on dealing with
biting horses is the most effective I've ever heard of or dealt with. Funny
thing is, it goes so opposite what most folks do to nipping or biting horses.
The two key things is that a horse that nips or bites is craving attention;
so...you give it to them! All they want and then some! You rub his head, you
hug his head, you mess with his muzzle till he is sick of it and tries to
pull it away.Then you mess with it some more. You never bat them in the face
or jerk the lead etc.
Rule number two though: Once that horse opens his lips at all, it is a bite,
and war is declared. This is the only time you will ever see John lose his
temper with a horse. Any biting is about the most dangerous thing a horse can
do, so it needs to be stopped immediately. Here's what he tells us to do: Use
the three second rule ; when the horse nips or bites at you in any way, you
have three seconds to "kill" him. I mean you want him to think you are
ripping him a new butt hole!  John has two rules under this; you cannot hit
him in the face, and you cannot cut or maim him in any way. But he does say
if he was holding a flat shovel when this horse bit him, he would knock the
crud out of him for three seconds. You have to holler, yell, come at him
swinging whatever; just don't do it in his face, and don't maim him. AND you
only have three seconds, then you walk up and pet him and let him know you
still love him. I'm here to tell you this method works. I just got a wild two
year old stud colt from Idaho (and what two year old stud won't bite??? :-)
). This colt had never been handled. I spent three and a half days working
him in the round pen before he was ready to ship to Fla (yes, this is true-
but I only could have done it with Lyon's methods). I had the pleasure of
having the chance to talk to John personally about my nipping this biting
thing in the bud right away. (pardon the pun!) I saw him practice it on a
gelding his son owns that had been a vicious biting horse just months before.
That horse never laid his ears back or tried to bite at all. The key is all
the face attention you give him. Lots and lots. My stud colt doesn't even try
to nip or bite now, as I'm right in his face first, and he loves it...
Good luck with it, and write me if you need any more help with it.
Becky in Florida with Moyle Miles and Moyle Eli