Re: RC; African Horse Sickness- Question for Tracey/Celeste

Hi, Barb,

>Are you required by law (either local or national) to have your horses
vaccinated yearly for AHS in order to compete in eventing/Dressage or
Endurance.? >

Yes.  And anyway, only idiots wouldn't do it.  Every so often, some moron
comes up with a "natural alternative" to the vaccine.  Every year,
aforementioned moron loses his horses and, hey presto! becomes a believer.
This is a bad, bad disease, with horses, literally, dying like flies a
couple of years ago when the virus mutated and the vaccine no longer worked.
We had to vaccinate again that year, which badly affected the competitive
riders.  OP is being a little more vigilent in monitoring the mutation of
the virus now.

Celeste : did you hear they did some tests at (I think) Anmarie Esslinger's
yard in Blue Hills, where they trapped midges in a net and tested them?
Almost 100% were carriers.  Shudder!

>It sounds like the immune response to this vaccine is a BIG one.  I wonder
then, why does the protection only last 1 year?

Same reason as for 'flu, I guess.  Also, mutation is a factor, and they
continue to adjust the vacc to suit (see above)

>does So.A make their own vaccines for AHS, or do Western or European
countries make/market
>the vaccines?>

Nope, Onderstepoort makes them.  Contrary to what certain people might
think, South African doctors and vets are some of the finest in the world,
and our equipment at OP is as good as any vet hospital anywhere in the
world.

Tracey