Running Martingales

In a message dated 9/12/00 10:15:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sbrown@wamedes.com writes:

<< My question is:  WHY is she using them?  To keep their head down...keep
 them from rearing...change the action of the snaffle?  I don't know.  I'm
 seriously curious.   >>

I do use a long running martingale as an extra safety feature at the start of
a ride (they think its a RACE).  Things are pretty exciting (for both of us)
and I like a little margin for error.  Neither of my endurance/NATRC horses
are really head tossers, but ya never know, so I put a running martingale
(long) on them for the start and usually drop it at the first opportunity.
JME

Sylvia