Re: RC: RE: Chiropractors

Oh, jeez! You WOULD start on Chiropractic "medicine"!  I have to agree with
ti, most of them do a hocus pocus thing.  And they don't actually heal you,
you have to keep going back--three times weekly for the first month, then two
times weekly for the next month then weekly for a year, then as needed, but
preferably at least weekly--the chiropractor needs to build a new
house/barn/buy a boat.

It was explained to me by a medical doctor I trust that adjustments
temporarily stretch the ligaments in order to get the bones "back in
alignment"  Ligaments don't have a lot of bounce-back in them, and eventually
they are permanently stretched where they will no longer hold the bones in
alignment.  That doctor suggested that strengthening the muscles that support
a problem joint is a more effective way of permanently solving the problem.

Lest you think I speak from a lack of experience, I had a real problem with
my neck that would come and go.  I went to a chiropractor off and on.  It
would get a little better for a while, with "treatment", I'd stop going.  It
would be okay for a few months, then get worse.  Finally it got REALLY bad.
Chiropractor adjusted it without X-rays because I'd had the same type of
symptoms before.  It got WORSE.  I ended up having two surgeries for
herniated cervical discs (never trust a Doc who thinks he knows your body
better than you)  I learned a few simple stretching exercises, and now when
my neck gives me problems (I ride therefore it does) I do stretching, watch
my neck alignment when I sleep, ice it for more immediate relief and use an
NSAID that does not upset my stomach.  I also have inflammatory arthritis, so
the NSAID helps a lot.  I stay more active, in part because I feel better, in
part because I am in charge of how I feel, not some "doctor."  And I try
really hard NOT to fall off horses. jeri