Re: RE: Re: Training ride today

> No, it's not a gimmick; it is an aid.  If adjusted properly, the running
> martingale only comes into play when the horse throws its head up to come
> above and avoid the bit.  With my acrobatic stallions, it certainly saved
me
> being from being slung off when they decided they just didn't want to
> cooperate.  As stated before, if properly adjusted if the horse is
behaving
> itself and working in some semblance of a frame, the martingale has
> absolutely no impact.

Whatever.

Honestly, I'm really a capable enough rider not to be "slung off" by a horse
tossing its head.  The question is, if the training is appropriate to the
development of the horse, the bit is the right one, the tack fits, and the
horse is not otherwise in pain then why the h*** is it tossing its head so
bad you can't stay on.  And if someone is in danger of being "slung off" by
a green horse, I'd say that person shouldn't be starting young horses and is
unlikely to be able to use the aids effectively.

-Abby