Re: RC: Re: RE: Chiropractors

In a message dated 9/12/00 1:21:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tracey@tbt.co.za
writes:

<< However, if I think about the way she operates, it is largely dependant
upon
 communication between the two of us "Is this sore", "How far can you flex to
 the left / right" , "Are you feeling stiffness or pain", "Do you suffer from
 headaches" etc, etc.

 No physio / chiropracter in the world can do this with my horse.  They are
 dependent on me giving them information which may be a result of my
 completely inaccurate interpretation of my horse's way of going. >>

Your MD relies on the same communication, yet your vet performs diagnostics
on non-speaking animals all the time.  Yes, our communication is less than
perfect in some ways--and yet better in others, because animals do not lie or
exaggerate or understate or say what they think we want to hear, the way that
people often do.  A DVM chiropractor uses the exact same skills of
observation in dealing with chiropractic cases that he/she does when doing a
lameness exam or any other sort of physical exam--poke, prod, pinch, feel,
observe...  Sure, we listen to the owners as well, but the the REAL
communicator here is the horse--who tells volumes by his posture, body
language, way of going, and reactions to what we do.  Whoever said that
verbal communication is the only game in town?

Heidi