Re: RC: Re: thumps

In a message dated 9/11/00 9:17:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time, RQuestarabians
writes:

<< Do you think I should not worry so much about the  Ca:P in my horses? Is
it not a factor to preventing my gelding from Thumping that his Ca:P is
balanced or not?>>

Susan is right that it doesn't take rocket science to balance Ca:P.  And it
doesn't have to balance down to the nanogram, either.  Yes, Ca is important
in thumps--and some horses seem to be more sensitive to imbalances than
others.  But you can manage that by not overfeeding Ca in the ration, and
then supplementing it judiciously as part of an electrolyte mix on ride day,
or using more alfalfa on ride day if heat is not a big factor.

<< I feed free choice grass hays with about 25% alfalfa. What do you
recommend that I do to be sure my horse's are not deficient in something? >>

The best quality hay you can find, and a little bit of grain to balance up
the Ca in the alfalfa.  NRC tables or other sources can give you the
"average" for the types of feed you are using, or better yet, you can get
forages analyzed.  If need be, have someone well versed in nutrition teach
you how to balance a ration.

<< Our endurance mare that used to eat dirt is an extremely "hard keeper."
After Tevis, I had my vet do fecal samples and float her teeth. I have a
feeling that you are right,  she very well could be deficient in something? >>

Contact local vets or extension agents for information about specific
deficiencies in your area.  As I mentioned, our bane here is selenium--we are
the armpit of the world for that.  But that is really ALL we need to
supplement here.  But if you have a hard keeper, and you've addressed dental
and digestive issues, and parasites, then you need to get more calories into
her.  If she won't consume enough, consider beet pulp, fat sources, etc.
Sarah or Susan can likely help you with that as well.

Heidi